Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Give Up!

I took the day off today. It was glorious!

I woke up at a totally decent and respectable time, read a little bit of the novel I'm reading and never have any time to read, and then I went to the gym. That was my morning. There was no refilling of a copier, checking of toner cartridges or answering phones. Nothing. As I was happily pedaling away in my morning cycling class I thought to myself, "What do all of these other people do for a living? Why is it that they're here during 'regular work hours'? How can I get in on that?" I wish I were independently wealthy so that I, too, could be one of the happy, peppy people you see running errands, going for jogs or sipping coffee at the corner shop during those random hours of the day when most people are at work.

Alas, I am not independently wealthy and probably never will be, but could I at least spend the majority of my waking hours doing something I enjoy? Again, it's not that I am ungrateful. I very much enjoy getting my paycheck every two weeks and I do, from time to time, like the work that I do. I enjoy being trusted with new responsibilities and actually feeling like I am a productive part of a team, but sadly most of my days are spent babysitting Ivy-Leaguers, avoiding my incompetent co-workers who make my job harder and answering questions like, "do we have a glue stick?" I want to think! I want my work to challenge me. I don't want to spend my time watching everyone around me doing what they enjoy while I sit and print labels for my boss' wife.

I spent part of my day off browsing the web for a new, potential, career-boosting job. Where would I look? What would I do? Sure, I have two degrees and some valuable work experience, but unfortunately the vast majority of my work history is with my current employer as an Exec Assistant. As I read through some of the postings, I realized that while I had the qualifications for some of these positions I didn't have the years of experience required. Why have I spent so much time doing something I'm not really passionate about?

I decided the practical thing to do was to combine my qualifications and years of experience. I would look for an assistant position within an industry I really care about and can actually see myself working in for years to come; an industry where I can grow as a professional and human being. Where do I start?   

I went on a webite, excited that I had a plan to change my life, and I clicked on a posting that sounded promising and there is was:
ASSISTENT WANTED.

I give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment